Slovenian Mountain Trail: The packing list
Use this Slovenian Mountain Trail packing list for the 617-kilometer thru-hike through this beautiful Alpine country. Luckily, you only need to bring a small pack since you sleep in mountain huts along the trail.
The lighter the pack, the better, because you climb around 37000 altimeters! However, a few items are worth remembering to make the trail a safe and (mostly) comfortable journey.
- Backpack (Gregory Zulu 35)
- Poles (Leki Black Carbon Poles)
- Sturdy shoes or trail runners (Hoka Speedgoat 5)
- Good hiking socks (Darn Tough)
- Merino wool T-shirts (Icebreaker)
- Short and long pants (Arc’tyrex)
- Down jacket and rain jacket (Rab)
- Light sleeping bag for the cabin (Grüezi)
- Water bottle – at least 2 liters (Nalgene)
- Sunglasses (Cébé)
- First aid kit (Ortovox)
- Sports watch for navigation (Polar Grit X)
Important for safety
- Via ferrata kit + gloves
- Climbing harness
Make the Slovenian Mountain Trail an enjoyable experience
- Xtorm Power Bank
- NKBV member card for discounts at the cabins
- Personal items (passport, cash, insurance card)
Cards and guidebooks*
- Guidebook SMT
- Logbook SMT
- Pohorje map
- Kamnisko – Savinjske map
- Karavanke – Osrednji del map
- Slovenska Istra – Scratch map
- Triglavski – map
- Skofjelosko – Idrijsko map
*You can also navigate with a navigation app or GPS.
Of course, you’ll need to supplement this packing list with personal items you’d like to take with you. To learn more, find our whole thru-hiking packing list here.